Orig motor 63 - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Orig motor 63

Here what I have one site I also go to I had them do it I can't get the other number the linkage is in the way!! For casting number
Here is the cowl
1C
Style 63 1847 body VN 22368
Trim 874 paint 940
EY 2cm 3p 17

The block stamp on passenger dash pad is FO108D in next post I put the cowl tag

Passenger back rear stamp L222

The shop said this 1963 impala 2 door car
ORIGINAL ENGINE REBUILT 327 CU IN V8 WITH LESS THAN 8000 MILES
ON IT
BLOCK ID IS FO108D 194 POWER PACK 4 BBL HEADS EDELBROCK
PERFORMER 4 BBL CARB
250 HORSEPOWER WITH A 2 SPEED POWER GLIDE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I was told it was 327 now it looks 283 for sure I'm having the trans rebuilt I get the casting off the driver rear than. If its a 283 by the numbers it looks at least orig?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Funny thing about a small block Chevy. They all look alike. A 265 with a new paper element air cleaner looks almost like the 283 or 327 that replaced it (it wasn't until 1956 that the 265 V-8 got an oil filter). The 283 or 327 look just like a 350 when you change the tin on the motor (the PCV valve moved from the deleted fill tube in the intake manifold to the valve cover, and the oil fill went into the opposite side valve cover on some models or the same side on others). But once again you can not tell a motor's size from it's valve covers. Lots of 283 motors received a 327 300 horse decal right after junior got to drive the family car. A 327 was made side by side with a 350, you can not tell them apart in a bone yard except for a careful examination of the crankshaft flange (or the numbers stamped on the ID pad which can be faked). The 400 cubic engine is the only small block that looks different from the out side from the 267, 305, 302 or any other sized small block because the factory used an external weight on the balancer and the fly wheel or flex plate.

Big Dave

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave learning what I can from the info given does this sound like the original 283 motor for the car?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1963 View Post
Thanks Dave learning what I can from the info given does this sound like the original 283 motor for the car?
Your engine application code of FO108D indicates that you are the proud owner of a 195 horsepower 283 that was installed in front of a PowerGlide built in Flint Michigan on the eight day of January in 1963.

Big Dave
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

How does one say that engine is orig without having it stamped vin on the block..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 PM

VINs were not stamped on all motors back then, only 'high value' motors like 409's and 327/300s. You can use the info from your stamp pad and the casting date on the back side to see if the dates agree with your trim tag.
Stamp pad F=Flint Michigan engine assembly plant
0108 = January 8th No year is indicated on these stamps, you have to look at the casting date for the year.

Your trim tag says 1C which means the body was assembled January, third week.

So the engine predates the body by a couple weeks and that is typical, so odds are you have the original engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

I guess the odds are good being that dates are so close.. What was the time frame-engine/body to be called a orig motor with in weeks or months?

Also did they only stamp 327/300 hp and 409 for theft reasons? What was the reasoning?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM

Chevy normally used a just in time delivery system. So distributors and heads and intakes and cams and cranks where all cast prior to the block. These parts all have casting numbers and date codes for quality assurance reasons. They would be made ten days to 28 days in advance of use unless GM faced a labor union negotiation in which case they would stock pile parts to have a six to eight month supply on hand in advance in anticipation of a strike.

Chevy resisted stamping VIN's stating that the labor involved was too expensive, in truth they just loved to sell new motors to the insurance industry, and car's sheet metal parts for that matter. The insurance industry which makes an annual contribution to the reelection of their own private congressmen and senators had a law passed in 1963 requiring all cars to have the frame, motor, and transmissions stamped with the VIN starting in 1965 and to have all cars in compliance by 1967 (In 1969 the VIN was changed to be more unique since it was possible for a FORD or a MOPAR product to have the same VIN number, and it was changed again in 1974 to be more descriptive so that a parts could be more easily identified as to what they belonged to).

Prior to that only desirable high performance motors were stamped (and all Corvette parts were stamped with the VIN since they were always being stolen and the cars burned). Cadillac and Buick motors where also stamped with VINs long before Chevys where because prior to the small block that was the most popular motor to have next to Ford's flattie.

Big Dave
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

So the engines were made 10-28 days before the body stamp date? Unless union strikes were coming?

I didn't know Buick stamped these cars with more vins than Chevrolet? So compare a Impala to a Wildcat the Wildcat in 63 or 64 had vins on engine and trans?

What was the average pay rate for a worker on the line 62-64?
Compare to the making engines in Flint etc?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So the engines were made 10-28 days before the body stamp date? Unless union strikes were coming?
Engine casting date would be that far ahead. Engine assembly date (the stamped date) is, naturally, after the casting date, but before the date in the trim tag for body assembly. As BigDave pointed out, they tried to minimize stock, so the time between engine assembly date and body assembly date could be small (a few days) to a few weeks. Remember there were only two engine assembly plants that fed all the body assembly plants, so there is usually a transportation delay.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Flint and Towanda were the only engine plants correct?

Anybody have pictures of the assembly plant 61-64 for Chevrolet? Or where I could find them..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Flint and Towanda were the only engine plants correct?

Anybody have pictures of the assembly plant 61-64 for Chevrolet? Or where I could find them..
Here are some pictures for Terrytown I believe. They were published in Life magazine back in 1959.

Big Dave
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

These pictures are great I've been a union steel worker in the mills so this aspect i like so much. The front ends went on one clip.. Great photos anyone find anymore be great..
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Terrytown

"Terrytown" is actually Tarrytown, is a smaller sized city in the Hudson River valley. remember a brief time while i thought i had an opening while living in Framingham, Mass, in the mid to late eighties to get into the GM plant there. Framingham had built a new paint plant in anticipation of getting the new "dustbuster" vans built there - lumina van, olds silhouette, etc. but labor troubles nixed that. the dustbuster van went to Tarrytown. Both plants may be closed now, i know Framingham is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page