wanted history on my SS Impala - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

wanted history on my SS Impala

Hi all is there any way I can find out the history on my 66 SS Impala from the vin number I would like to know where it was sold and how many people have owners this car and when its was last sold in the USA as now it lives in Australia cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Unfortunately no one provides Car-Fax for such and old car. You would have to hire a private investigator to track that information down. Just like in the movies there is a retainer fee, a weekly charge for his time plus expenses.

Only information in the VIN is the type of car (in this case a Chevy), the assembly plant location, and a date of build along with the seven sequential numbers that comprise the VIN. The trim tag tells you what kind of car it is (style such as 2 dr ht or sdn) , where built and when what color it was, what kind of seats it had and type of motor (six or an eight) as well as notable options installed.

Big Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM

This should fit here, It tells a little how he found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=E_I9fyX0RhI

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM

My Dad's Car Extended

I think this is the one that you wanted to post, this is the detailed extended version.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM

Yea, I don't know how I got the short version.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys I have seen the movie and its cool was hoping to try and get the info on my car thats all. I have decode the tag and know all about my car but some history from people the have owed the car before me would be nice and how many ower its had before me cheers.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM

Vehicle history

If you google that question you will come up with many hits, however I am not sure if they give you what you want although they do say they will. As an example:
http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vin.html

Other than that, if you know anyone in police force, they can run the vin and check.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:10 PM

If you have the Protect-O-Plate booklet for the car, it will give you a little information, like the selling dealer, born on date, engine type, and the original purchaser (plus a few other details).

If you don't have it, you can't get one for the car you own.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi I don't have a Protect-O-Plate booklet all the history I have on the car is that its been in Australia since 2005-06 and its had 2 owners here and am the third owner now I have had the car since june 2010 I would like more history but no one here can tell me who imported the car I was told maybe from the vin number I could get more history but it does not look that way I have find the build sheet but it was in bits and I could not put it back to together. So am out of luck I think cheers
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys i would like more history on my impala is there any more info i can get from the vin or the cowl tag i would like to know where the car was sold (like the dealer and who the first owners where cheers.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacey View Post
Hi guys i would like more history on my impala is there any more info i can get from the vin or the cowl tag i would like to know where the car was sold (like the dealer and who the first owners where cheers.
That information was not included with the car when it rolled off the assembly line (where the VIN plate was stamped). The cowl tag was stamped earlier in the car's life at the Fisher Body assembly plant which may have been on the starting end of the assembly line or several states away.

Either way it went out into a big parking lot and sat there until a dealer put in an order for the car where it was loaded onto a train and shipped to that state for sale to some future customer (again the car has no idea where it is going and all documentation was complete when it left the factory).

At the dealer ship it sat on display for up to six months looking to be adopted by some one. When that occurred the paperwork (which GM has no way of accessing) was written up at the dealership. At that time a warranty card was typed up (Protect-o-Plate) with the car's VIN and the owners name so that he/she could file a warranty claim for service at some future unknown time (if ever).

So unless you have the original paper work (which most original owners kept in the glove box) you have no way of tracing it. Unfortunately the first thing a used car dealer did was to throw that information away so that a prospective customer could not ask a former customer why the car was for sale (or more embarrassing questions such as what is wrong with it?). That is why you can not trace the owners. No one knows who the original owner was or any subsequent owners unless they bought it from the individual (which in America didn't normally occur as we trade cars in on new ones; and used car dealers are notoriously untrustworthy, so it becomes a game to put one over on the used car dealer).

Big Dave
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

thnaks for that info cheers ok where would a find a build sheet in a sthgate built car as the car is very orginal thank you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 AM

I found my build sheet stuck to the spring under the passenger side bucket seat (mine is also an unrestored original car). Another guy I know found something called a "Broadcast Copy" under the trunk liner in his '65 Impala.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

cool I just have to keep looking where was your car built buddy broadcast is the build sheet am looking for thanks
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM

My car was built in the Doraville (Georgia) GM Plant in January 1965.

The build sheet I found in my car is on a (formerly) white sheet of paper approx. 7 1/4 in tall by 8 1/2 in wide. The "Broadcast Copy" found by my buddy (car was from up north somewhere; maybe Tarrytown?) was on green paper as I recall, and a little smaller. It did not look anything like my build sheet.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Build sheets

post scans please

Paul

1966 Impala SS

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Here is a 1965 Doraville build sheet (though not for my car):

And here is a "body broadcast copy" which I found in the internet for a '67 car:

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Mark, what plant is your car from. I'd post pics of what was left of the build sheet. Even the pieces may tell you something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page