Need help decoding a 65 ss (i think) - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Need help decoding a 65 ss (i think)

Hello all, new to this forum. Been on 67-72 chevy trucks forum and owned a couple of em. A 67 swb and a 72 lwb. I have since sold them and looking at a 65 impala. I could use some help with vin and firewall tag numbers. Thanks for any help and info, take care.
vin 164372d112537
firewall tag st 65-16437 body ba 2533
tr 842 paint cc
acc c50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Welcome to the Team Scott!

Looks like you are off to a good start. Your 16437 decodes as a two door sport coupe (HT) with a V-8. However the 842 shows that the car had blue cloth and vinyl bucket seats, but it it isn't a SS model. If it where an SS it would have had trim code 831 to get that extra bit of chrome trim on those blue buckets. The paint was originally Ermine White.

Back in 1965 an SS package was a trim option only, it had no affect on performance. The factory sold six cylinders with SS trim all over the car. So you can make yours into an SS by just adding those missing decals and chrome to join the swelling ranks of SS car owners out there.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Dave, once again: the SS was a separate VIN sequence for this year. Not a "trim" option. You are really going out of your way to disparage owners of legitimate SS cars. Put your personal feelings aside when responding to posts.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Is the C50 on the tag actually C60 for air conditioning?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Dave, once again: the SS was a separate VIN sequence for this year. Not a "trim" option. You are really going out of your way to disparage owners of legitimate SS cars. Put your personal feelings aside when responding to posts.
True a model number of 16667 or 16637 would make it a V-8 powered SS. But the SS uses the sport coupe body (or convertible) not a distinct different body all together. As such it should be possible to create a SS clone with the just the required chrome trim and badges (and if you wanted to be a "purist" if you will pardon the pun, a new and improved trim tab off line with the model number you want stamped onto it). Remember it is only illegal to alter the VIN not the trim tag. With the door closed and the hood raised most wouldn't know the difference at a car show (not that many are even aware what they are looking at anyway based upon what I over hear at car shows).

Of course I could be completely off base here and there is a unique body style made only for SS cars that is easily spotted fifty feet away by whatever makes a car an SS other than trim and bucket seats.

I thought I had answered his question including the implied plea for confirmation or denial of his car being the desirable SS.

Big Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM

What?

What car has a separate and distinct body style different than the ordinary for a Super Sport? A Chevelle? A Camaro? A Nova?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm totally confused now!! Lol anyway, thanks for the replys . I do know it is the white and blue/black interior maybe 60/40 front bench seat. 283/p.g. Tranny. Trying to line up a day to check her out in person. Any additional info is greatly appreciated as i'm trying to learn as i investigate as well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 AM

No need to be confused. It's not an SS. You can use the VIN decoder on the 348-409 site to check things out when shopping for a car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM

I can see why he is confused. This is what happens when we veer from facts. I have said it before but in the tag team and restoration threads we should strive to be accurate. I think editorial is fine in the other threads but people come here to get facts and incorrect responses lead to confusion and propagate incorrect information into our hobby.

Facts:
There were no bucket seats in a '65 standard Implala, they were only installed in the SS
In 65 the SS was its own model indicated on the VIN

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

Last edited by Fossil_Fuel; 08-07-2012 at 10:20 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jayoldschool for turning me on to the 348-409 site!! Very informative!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Agreed,
I also get tired of the misinformation. It's fine that people have opinions or think they have the correct answer as long as they preface that fact and stop trying to represent all answers as fact rather than opinion.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page