just bought a 1966 impala SS396 help :) - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

just bought a 1966 impala SS396 help :)

Hi guys, I just bought a 1966 impala ss396 and the engine was rebuilt by somebody and it has a plate on it, but I have no idea who it was built by also, is there any way to tell what the horsepower rating was on this car? The heads are 3856206 and are the factory original. Also, my carb is 7041213 DM date coded 1661. Ill attach some pictures and if anyone can help, it would be very appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. I know nothing about the car. The rearend code is EP or FP 9 2 3 G or 6 and the part number is 3852980N what does that mean? Im also curious about whether or not the carb is original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04438.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	96   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04445.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	97   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04469.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	98   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04470.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	99  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM

The tag is from a commercial engine rebuilding shop. We have one (a independent commercial engine rebuilding shop) in East Tampa that rebuilds your motor or sells you one off the shelf taking your motor as a core to rebuild for their next customer. The tag identifies their shop and I would imagine is used so far as the limited warranty. It is not from a "big Name" independent shop like Sony Leonard, Bill Mitchell, John Lingenfelter, Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Competition, or the ilk. Just a standard reliable we can get you going again shop the specializes in building motors (you may be able to research who bought that motor from their records if they are still in business and kept records that far back).

As far as the rear end goes those code numbers and letters decode as follows. I am more inclined to think that may be the axle code is from something earlier than 1965 or older than 1977 which is the range I checked.
FP - states that this was a 1966 Chevy II 12 bolt open rear end with 3.73:1 gears. If so it would be exceptionally narrow. Hard to believe it would work under an Impala.
9 - indicates the month of the build
23 - indicates that it was built on the 23rd of September
G - states that it was built by Detroit Gear & Axle

As to the cowl tag :

BT indicates the car was built in Arlington Texas
10E indicates it was built in the fifth week of October
66 -16837 decodes as a1966 Impala SS Two Door Sport Coupe
2532XXXX Is your partial VIN (sequence number in line being built)
HH-6 indicates an exterior body color of Medium Green with the 6 indicating another option such as Vinyl roof but I can not find the info. It was not a two tone car.
885 6 indicates a White interior color 6 says vinyl bucket seats.
C60 is a vehicle identification trim code that is not published in order for Judges and "experts" to identify bogus trim codes from the real article. They were all unique to the plant and instructed the assembler as to any variations from the normal build to meet a customers order.

I have no books to trace your carb back to see if it came with the motor But I suspect there is a good chance it did, since it does not show a rebuild tag in the picture, and has not been replaced by the usual Holley carb.

As to horse power Oval port heads which I suspect you have are rated at either 325 or 350 horse depending upon the cam.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 12-22-2007 at 05:51 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 PM

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Actually, the BT2532 is the body number of the car. It would be the 2,532nd 66 impala SS body assembled at the Arlington, TX assembly plant.
The 6 is the code for black vinyl top. so the 885 is white bucket seat interior and the after that is black vinyl top. The 6 after the HH paint code is also for the vinyl top. You see it like on 66's from Arlington but I;m not sure why they repeated it.
Could you post you vin (on the inside drivers door jamb tag) and the engine pad numbers stamped in front of the passengers side cylinder head? That will tell if it is matching numbers.

Also, the rear code is EP not FP which is a 2:73 rear if I am remembering correctly (I don't have my book in front of me).

Warren
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Your 396 is 325 h.p. as that was the only version of a 396 you could get in any full size chevy in 66. ( if it is original or rebuilt to original specs). The machine shop near me puts those plates on any engine they rebuild, and it is designed to partially pop out if the engine is damaged by overheating thereby voiding any warranty. Kinda like a chicken popper thing! I dont' know if yours does the same.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Welcome to the site. The pictures of all the numbers are nice, but we need the beginning pictures of the whole project!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Welcome to the Site.. I have a 66 ss, 396 4 speed.
You got any pics
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM

welcome to the site
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM

I've decoded your carb for you. Your number is 7041213. The first two digits, 70, are on all quadrajets made before 1976, the second two numbers, 41 are the actual date code which is 1971. The 2 means 49 state emmissions, the 1 means it came off a Chevy and finally the 3 means manual transmission. So your carb came off of a 1971 Chevy with non California emmissions and manual tranny.
Here is a link to a really handy Rochester de-coding website for those looking to find a correct carb or see if theirs is correct.
http://www.recarbco.com/technical/rochester/qjet.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page