Already heartbroken, let's make it worse. 67 cowl - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Already heartbroken, let's make it worse. 67 cowl

So the car I purchased was supposed to be 67 SS convertible, white, with black top and interior. I pulled the trigger on the buy because it was rust free and mechanically sound; but I finally got around to checking the cowl tag and, as it turns out it's not actually an SS; nor is it even white. I could use some help decoding the tag; not to restore it to original condition, but to help galvanize my decision to do a complete mod and turn it into something truly unique and special.

The cowl tag
292 048
ST 67-16467 LCR 1741 BODY
TR 889-A G-2 PAINT
W 2M

What was this thing before it was dressed up like an SS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 04:37 AM

16467 is a V-8 powered two door convertible (an Impala SS convertible would have had 16867 as the body style. Gold vinyl bench seat Granada gold paint with a black top

The W indicates you had a tinted windshield (but not the rest of the glass), and the 2M indicates it had a PowerGlide tranny.

Decals and SS trim pieces cost $3 to $4 off the service counter parts desk back in the seventies.

All you got for your SS purchase was a set of bucket seats and a console with floor mounted shifter. It didn't buy you anything performance wise. It was just a trim package.

So if you can find a set of original bucket seats, and both halves of a console with a Power Glide shifter, you will have a your SS (because these parts were only offered in the SS).

Then you can go on line and buy the "correct" trim tag as they sell those with the star rivets (but it won't change the 16467 that is encoded in your VIN; and that can not be changed as it is a federal offense to modify the tag).

Personally I have always been more interested in actual performance than posing as a performer with badges and decals. I have never liked the concept of an SS in name only. That is why I never leave any car that falls into my hands alone and swap motors, rear ends, transmissions, and suspension parts to upgrade the cars performance first.

If I have any money left over at the end of the build I might slather on some Bondo to fill the bigger holes and paint the whole car with a can or two of rattle can gray primer to hide the body panels I have replaced with light weight fiberglass.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

No, the car has already been dressed as an SS... Bucket seats, floor shifter, correct emblems. Someone already did that, and passed it off to me that way.

Thanks for the decode. No way i'm restoring it to those specs.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Only thing you are missing then is the number if it has been cloned already.

I know that I don't go around checking VIN tags or trim tags at car shows. All I look at is the car as a whole package. Just because I don't paint mine doesn't mean I don't appreciate a Candy apple paint job you can swim in it is so deep, or metallics that glint in the sun. I appreciate ghost flames and pearls as well as straight body in original colors.

Of course to impress me you should be sporting a fire breathing big block with a four to six speed transmission and gummy tires on wide wheels at all four corners (preferably 17 inches in diameter to 15 inches on five spoke American or Cragar wheels). A roll cage and parachute has a certain look of authority as does a dash filled with gauges to monitor what the car is doing. But I also like road racers and autocross cars sporting war paint (if they can autocross pick-up trucks why not an Impala?).

I grew up with diamond tuck naugahyde and fuzzy dice along with curb scrapers and Lake pipes on every car. The cars had either Moon dish hub caps or deep offset chromed reverse wheels sporting wide white walls (that was a look I was glad to see die).

There are fads in popular car treatments that come and go. Big and littles along with the formerly Mexican only desire to chop springs and air bag their Chebbies into low riders seems to have hung around long past the time they first appeared. But I shouldn't complain as it could have been the kids with their neon colored lights under the cars and public address systems that hung around in it's place. I really don't miss lace or panel paint jobs or shag rugs and fuzzy headliners, or wolf whistles (or horns that play Dixie for that matter). All have been the rage in auto fashion. But getting back on topic.

The SS, or in the terms of the Camaro the SS, Z/28, and RS as well, have all been cloned to the point where there are now six times the number of SS cars on the road than Chevy ever made. If everyone has an SS what is so special about it.

Make your car yours. Personalize it modify it from stock. Start a new trend where everybody wants to copy you. Big and littles weren't invented by any one person but simply copying their idols race car in appearance. Why not build a NASCAR look alike if you are into chasing your tail running in circles?

I haven't seen a Chopped and Channeled car since the mid sixties and they worked almost exclusively with fat fendered post WWII cars. Maybe you could build a custom grill for yours or bring back Frenched headlights. What ever you do; drive your car and enjoy it.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM

The 048 is most likely 04B, take another look. This would be your build week of 4th week of February 1967.

This should serve as a lesson for all of us here. Buyer beware. Just like the cloned Z/28's our Impalas are being cloned. Since the SS is more desired by the majority it commands a premium price, hence the abundance of cloned cars. Our mid 60's impalas are the easiest to spot the fakes as you have now found. Now that you have it I would just enjoy that car an restore it to what ever colors you prefer.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 AM

My favorite is the cloned big block Z/28 that has SS badges as well as the SS badges.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 AM

SS or not

I am guessing they didn't change the VIN number so the VIN obviously tells us this is an Impala as opposed to an SS. Wouldnt it make sense to just look up the VIN to see it was not an original SS, you don't need the cowl decoded to find that out unless they changes the VIN?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
What's the vin#? Can you post a pic if the cowl tag? I'd like to add it to my research database. Don't have any Lordstown 67's entered yet built that week.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page