Part numbers needed 69 Impala - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Part numbers needed 69 Impala

Hey guys, anybody know what the alternator and starter numbers are for a 69 Impala? My 10B Impala is missing it's OEM alternator and the starter looks either rebuilt or replaced so I suspect that as well. What dates should I be looking for for my build date. Warren, can you help?

"MY IMPALA"

10B 1969 16447 Impala 'Survivor'

"MY Z"
06A 1969 Camaro Z28 'Unrestored'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Anybody? I haven't found a spec sheet or part numbers book for my Impala so if anyone can look this up for me I would appreciate it.

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Here is a free down load of the parts catalog that is apparently no longer being offered for sale since GM lost their copyright on the Parts Manual (and as such the ability to license exclusive use to retailers who were making money trying to sell something now available for free).

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums.../t-175745.html

I have to wonder if the Parts Manual entering the Public domain was the result of their recent bankruptcy where some lawyer overlooked that source of future revenue when filing the case. If so are the other manuals currently being sold as reprints free game?

The Assembly manual has all of the parts illustrated in an exploded view, the requested Part Numbers and the bolt torques needed to restore your car.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Here is a free down load of the parts catalog that is apparently no longer being offered for sale since GM lost their copyright on the Parts Manual (and as such the ability to license exclusive use to retailers who were making money trying to sell something now available for free).

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums.../t-175745.html

I have to wonder if the Parts Manual entering the Public domain was the result of their recent bankruptcy where some lawyer overlooked that source of future revenue when filing the case. If so are the other manuals currently being sold as reprints free game?

The Assembly manual has all of the parts illustrated in an exploded view, the requested Part Numbers and the bolt torques needed to restore your car.

Big Dave

Hi Dave. I just got the fullsize assembly manual for 69 in the mail today. I haven't opened it yet, need to find a binder to put it in.

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

For future reference, 1969 Impala w/350 LM1 engine:

1100834 Alternator

1108361 Starter

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Part numbers are of little value as they change with time. those numbers are now in all probability obsolete (though a good parts counterman should be able find the new part number from the obsolete part number). It is better to list the description.

In 1969 GM was using a DN series alternator with an external mechanical voltage regulator. The Amp rating ranged from 32 AMPs to 63 AMPs. The SI 10 and then the SI 12 series of internally regulated alternators didn't appear until 1971 though they are a better choice if you a not doing a white glove restoration. (the CS one wire alternator is your best choice; as it will out put over 100 amps of smooth power just off idle, for bright lights and enough power to make your boom box stereo be heard in the next county, keep your electric fans, fuel pumps and water pumps all spinning).

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Part numbers are of little value as they change with time. those numbers are now in all probability obsolete (though a good parts counterman should be able find the new part number from the obsolete part number). It is better to list the description.

In 1969 GM was using a DN series alternator with an external mechanical voltage regulator. The Amp rating ranged from 32 AMPs to 63 AMPs. The SI 10 and then the SI 12 series of internally regulated alternators didn't appear until 1971 though they are a better choice if you a not doing a white glove restoration. (the CS one wire alternator is your best choice; as it will out put over 100 amps of smooth power just off idle, for bright lights and enough power to make your boom box stereo be heard in the next county, keep your electric fans, fuel pumps and water pumps all spinning).

Big Dave

Hi Dave, not looking for new technology or white glove restoration on this car, no boom box, nor electric anything, just looking for the right dated parts to put back on it.

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 PM

So it sounds like you are going for a date code correct chalk mark original restoration.

To me a mini-starter works just fine (even though it is made by Hitachi Electric) because it 13 pounds lighter than the original and draws less current to do the same thing. Same for the alternator. The old DN mechanical points alternators are nothing more than a battery charger. You are running off the battery all the time and recharging when you can with the alternator that has to be spinning above 2,800 RPM to do that. A modern CS style one wire alternator draws less horsepower, lasts longer because of improved reverse cooling fans that blow instead of suck, and will it output from 120 to 280 amps of power at just off idle (1,200 RPM). Even though it will bolt in place and eliminate all voltage fluctuations (which will destroy a modern digital stereo or AM-FM radio), it won't pass a concours car show inspection (with or without the white gloves).

One is restoration to museum quality, the other is restification; to enjoy the car by driving it with modern conveniences and safety improvements (such as radial tires, disc brakes with dual master cylinders to isolate the front system from the rear). Neither is better than the other and both can be challenging and enjoyable to build. It is just two different ways to build a car. I of course choose a third alternative and build a modern track ready car in an old decrepid looking antique American muscle car body because I like to stun others with what these cars are capable of given half a chance.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

No restoration, the car is staying as original as possible though. Just want the correct dated parts to put back on it when these aftermarket pieces crap out.

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page