65 ss engine and trans code - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

65 ss engine and trans code

Hi, can anyone tell me how do I figure what engine and trans is supposed to be in my 65ss where do I find the code in cowl tag or protect-o plate
I had this car for over 8 years I found it on a field with no engine no trans no interior or wheels just body and glass sitting on the dirt so I got no idea what engine is supposed to have
-thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

65 ss engine and trans code

also I know the car has a clutch pedal so I know is a 4 speed car
I looked around and couldn't find a build sheet all I have is a cowl plate and protect-o plate besides the vin
-thanks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM

The cowl tag will only tell you if it was a 6 or 8 cyl. There is no drive train info. It will tell you if it was a SS or regular Impala .It could have been a 3 speed manual trans. Post the info here and someone can tell you more about your car.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM

The Protect-o-Plate relies upon the application code stamped on the motor's identification pad for warranty information. Same for the tranny. It could have been a base 190 hose 283 or a base 275 horse 327 in '65 if the trim tag says V-8. It could also have been the ultra rare 409 425 horsepower 409 if the car's build date was before Feb, 17, 1965. As stated the only way you know for certain that you had a four speed Muncie and not the possibility of a three speed would be if you had a 350 horse 327 or a big block under the hood (All three of those motor choices required a Muncie if you ordered a manual trans). The Protect-o-Plate will list every other option that was installed on the car at the time.

The SS could be had in 1965 with a 153 cid four cylinder if you insisted hard enough and paid up front for such a whimpy car. Or it could have come with a 230 or a 250 cid six cylinder, a 283 cid V-8, a 327 cid V-8, and either a 409 or a 396 V-8 depending in which half of the production year you bought the car. This was because a SS doesn't get you any performance equipment at all in 1965, it was strictly a trim level of badges and chrome.

The only way to buy a factory built hot rod in 1965 was to buy a used police car, but police cars were all stripped down Biscyanes with rubber floor mats (for when your drunk in the back seat lost his three Martini lunch). A RPO code of 9C1 police car came equipped with HD suspension, HD battery and alternator, HD cooling with an oil cooler added to a larger radiator, and an automatic tranny (or PowerGlide in 1965).

Not all police cars however came with cop motors despite what Elwood told Jake in the movie. Most departments wanted fuel economy because the cars where never turned off once cranked up. They ran or idled continuously so most cop cars had the two barreled 283 motor. The exception to the no big engine in a cop car was of course a highway patrol cruiser; which was tasked with running down what ever offending vehicle that it encountered. A Highway patrol cruiser would have had the 350 horse 327 or a 409/396 in 1965.

If you want a high performance ride and an unusual car to show on weekends build a black and white patrol car. Thought the twin lamp or four lamp beam red Fedral Signal rotating roof light might be hard to find. Back in 1965 they were using a round dome model 175 or a model 15 light for the smaller twin beam mounted on each side of the roof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Federal-Sign...51315316552%26

Here is a picture of a 1965 Impala Police car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2772710244/

Here are Two 1966 police cars in pursuit with lights flashing
http://imcdb.org/vehicle_41087-Chevr...ayne-1966.html

The other two are Fords

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Rico, this is from impalaclassics.com showing cubic inch and horsepower choices.

Engine OptionsCI. DisplacementHorse Power Turbo-Thrift 6-Cylinder250-150hp
Super Turbo-Fire/Turbo-Fire V-8-283-195hp

Super Turbo-Fire/Turbo-Fire V-8-327-250/300hp Turbo-Jet V-8 *396-325/425hp

Turbo Fire V-8 *409-340/400hp

* Production of the 396 began in February 15, 1965
* Production of the 409 ceased mid-year 1965
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM

I had a maintenance contract back in 1966 for fifteen refrigerator white 1965 two door Biscaynes that had a 153 cubic inch four cylinder, radio delete, rubber floor mat three speed cars for the City of Tampa's Water Department. They were used by their twelve full time meter readers, and supervisors. So I know that a four cylinder was an option for these cars. One supervisor spent most of his day hanging out around my shop checking in and out the cars used by the city as I fixed things they broke (mostly flat tires) as well as doing preventive maintenance.

They occasionally brought by diesel powered dump trucks and flat bed trucks for me to fix, but I had to send them away as I was not set up to work on medium and heavy duty trucks. That is what cost me the contract with the city.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I would not classify a 4 cyl engine in the full size as an option. All RPO's were listed in the books and the 4 cyl is not included in the full size option list. Maybe your memory is correct and someone ordered a batch of 4 cylinder cars via the COPO route but they were not an option.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thank you all for your help it seems that with out the build sheet there is no way to tell what motor and tranny came with it from factory
I do have a pumped 350 and a friend of mine has a 86 iroc z 5 speed tranny I could put in it but that kills the idea of keeping it ALL original
oh well
again thanks to all of you
post #9 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Can you post the vin and cowl tag info? There might be some info on those tags that would give some clues.
post #10 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM

If you do the 350 5 speed, be careful. A good 350 will shred that poor trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page