1968 Impala SS or not....? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

1968 Impala SS or not....?

New to group, wanted to seek some info on an Impala that I looked at and will probably purchase. very honest car, 65k, originally a 327, now has a mildly built 427 in it, with some nice components, seems to be a nice build. New convertible top and boot, very original interior, white ext with red gut.....body has good driver quality paint, fenders and quarters appear to be all original metal....question is the current owner is not sure it is an SS or not, he did not think it was but as we poked at it, seems that it may be. It has the SS emblems on the front fenders, one on the trunk, the small SS square emblem on the steering wheel and the also another one on the front of the dash over the glove box....did the 68 have a grill or trunk emblem? is there a way to decode from the VIN? There is a chance the build sheet is still in the car, that may be one option but in your opinion, what is the price differential between a 68 Vert impala and a 68 vert impala SS.....? anyone care to put a number out there on what they think it might be worth, nice #2 car, interior nice, no rust, clean underneath, runs and shifts strong.....
Thanks for taking a look, hope to add some pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Welcome to the Team Scott!

The Trim Tag usually has that information (the body style number). Problem is with a Convertible there is only one style number not a separate number for the SS like they do with the hard top.

I wouldn't sweat it. In 1968 an SS was only a trim option (added chromed SS badges), and didn't offer any performance enhancement to the car so far as motor or suspension goes. You could order the SS package with any engine combo in the brochure unlike the other Chevy car models sold that year.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for the quick reply, was not sure about the value of the SS though it does add a "cool" factor. so this guy has the car listed for 11k, he took the car five years ago in trade for plumbing from the other guy who had done all the work on it, older restoration, not perfect but very respectable. we seemed to hit it off ok, some ball breaking and such, I think he will let it go for 9k, seems like reasonable money to me, thoughts on that?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 AM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

ss or not

In impala 1968
to be a SS on the cowl tag there should be option Z24 that include 427
or you can have a supersport if the option is Z03 like the one i have it include all the option of the Z24 except engine

IF it is Z24 you can think someting around 50K/55K for a show room condition

have a look at this : http://www.348-409.com/rpo1.html

Last edited by donaldimpala68; 08-21-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: forgot information
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi Scott, I also called the owner as it was advertised in Hemmings. Does the car have bucket seats and a console? SS only means buckets, console and badging. You could have gotten a SS with a 6 cyl in 68. If it has a bench seat then it's not a real SS which I seem to remember from our conversation that it wasnt. On the trim tag, what the trim code? Don S
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 AM

Welcome Scott,
Don't forget the really cool factor items like the rare Z24 hood, fender gills; gauge package; cornering lights; fiber optics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page