post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

63 ss 409

VIN: 31847A176481

Trim tag:
03B DETROIT MICHIGAN
STYLE 63-1847 BODY AT 18455
TRIM 875 PAINT 948
ACC F 3C 2Z

I've done the main de-coding.... they are pretty simple and straight forward with some of the website's out there. It apears that it is a true SS car , colors match as red on red which is really RED ON RED ON RED ON RED ON RED in this car...... What i dont have figured out is the acc codes. Physically and currently the car is a 409 with what originally was "suppose" to be a 4 speed. PO removed the 4spd and put a THM350 in its place Car has power steering which im not sure if it was original or an after thought. Padded dash and tinted windshield. Does this all sound kosher? Anything in those tags that validates thats it is an original ss 409 4 spd car or do I need to dig deeper? And i know that there is always the chance that someone mixed and matched tags... do these apear to match? Thanks ahead of time for any response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM

SS was a trim package in 1963; not a performance package. So an SS car will have bucket seats. If you got bucket seats with your two door hard top then yes it is a true SS.

As to motor being original you will need documentation to prove that.

In 1963 a four speed bought you a Borg-Warner T-10; which the 409 could make enough power to easily break, if the rear end held together long enough. It was the 409 breaking drive line parts at the hit of the throttle that motivated GM to produce a bigger version of the B-W T-10 using the same design, just super sized inside the aluminum case (wider gear face to transmit more power per tooth, bigger diameter bearings and shafts to hold the load).

Since it has bucket seats I would pull them to look underneath for a build sheet as it was easy to stuff a build sheet up in the springs as the worker carried the seat to the car to assemble it in the car as it rolled past on the assembly line. A build sheet was trash that was supposed to be thrown away, but a lot of workers were lazy and just stuffed them in the car out of sight to save a few steps.

I imagine the previous owner grew tired of replacing four speeds and rear ends and swapped in the TH350, which didn't come out until 1969, for the four speed to act as a shock absorber to make parts last longer (the torque converter absorbs drive line shocks that could shatter hardened steel parts).

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave. I know while looking the car over i saw the number stamp on the front pass side head. Will that tell me if it was original "numbers matching" motor and trans setup or am I pretty well stuck saying "It's been called numbers matching" since it is a 63 and verifying everything apears to be near next to impossible without original build sheet, window sticker, being the oringinal owner, and watching it be made.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM

If the cowl tag is original, the TRIM code specifies red bucket seats. That confirms that it was built as an SS. Are you sure about the 2Z? It would make more sense if it was a 3Z.
The motor should have the VIN derivitive stamped on the RH deck in front of the cylinder head. That will tell you if it's the original motor or not.

Verne
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you verne. I checked that cowl tag and you were correct, I swapped things around. The acc codes are F 2C 3Z in which the F should be the tinted windshield, the 3Z looks to be the super sport option. That leaves the 2C code still up in the air. Checked the numbers on the block and the last 8 of the VIN are there. and the engine code indicates it is a QC (340hp single Rochester carb coupled to a manual trans)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Congrats Josh! Looks like you have a numbers matching 409 SS. Now all you need is a way to play the Beach Boy's song 409 in a continuous loop as you show the car.

Big Dave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

That's where the user name and matching licence plate came from dave. thank you sir.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so correction.... after having it up on the lift today, it appears the car was originally a three on the tree car. Dave, how rare and or valuable does this make the car?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
A real 63 SS 409 with 3spd manual on the column would be really rare. Can you post some pics of the numbers?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

That's just the thing, none of the numbers I have indicate ot was a three speed or anything else for thay matter. But the column has the location for a stick, and the numbers matching block has a QC code so it was for sure a manual.... the original trans is long gone and I'm just trying to wrap my head around the new facts.... so now it was born a 3 speed, someone removed that, cut out the floor for the 4 speed, removed that and most recently replaced it with an auto while retaining use of the floor shifter. :S all in less than 55k miles.....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM

By any chance was it a three speed overdrive unit? There would be a cable and pull handle attached to the bottom of the dash to activate the OD. They were rare and I have never heard of one being offered behind a 409 as the 409 had a problem breaking even Borg-Warner T-10 transmissions. The three speed was even weaker that the four speed version and it wouldn't last long at all if you got rowdy with it.

Though generally those who bought the OD unit where more interested in gas mileage than street racing. I can imagine a scenario involving a traveling salesman that had a large district to cover, who also spent a lot of time in the mountains requiring a big motor to get a big car up and over the hills. It's a stretch, but it could have happened.

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1ne409 View Post
That's just the thing, none of the numbers I have indicate ot was a three speed or anything else for thay matter. But the column has the location for a stick, and the numbers matching block has a QC code so it was for sure a manual.... the original trans is long gone and I'm just trying to wrap my head around the new facts.... so now it was born a 3 speed, someone removed that, cut out the floor for the 4 speed, removed that and most recently replaced it with an auto while retaining use of the floor shifter. :S all in less than 55k miles.....
Can you post or PM pics of the vin, cowl tag and engine pad? Being a QC code, manual trans, sure could have been on the column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page