66 impala steering box cange over options - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

66 impala steering box cange over options

New member, but not new to the site. Working on a 66 Impala conv. for the last 8 months to bring it back to daily driver. Floors, springs,bushings, brakes, wheels, tires, front end parts and rag top. Paint (lets say patina) will stay as i am focusing on the drive-ability part, not the shine I have been to the site many times for more info related to my Impala resto some of the info very helpful. Guys who have had some obvious experience, some not. BIG DAVE is one of the names that has become familiar as a good source What brings me here today is steering box
questions----small block, 327 flags, power glide, no disc power brakes, POWER STEERING BOX ( not the pump). It is leaking and it needs some attention. What I would like to do replace it with something other than the original, not so soft more and grounded to the road, and pretty much bolt in or as close as it can be. What fits out of what other vehicles ? I saw an older post stating 94 Grand Cherokee may fit. Could use some good info if any one has some. Thanks LEIN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM

This article should give you a few ideas as to upgrading your car's steering.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

I would say print it (one of the options cleverly hidden away under Share) but you have to go and print out each photograph individually (which burns through a lot of paper at one photo a page). I used to use the cut and paste option and MS Publisher to put all of the photos with their captioned information on one page to save paper, but they have deactivated that option.

For a more comprehensive list of donor vehicles I recommend printing out then reading this article.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature21.html

Finally I would recommend reinforcing the frame (a trick I learned from reading Petersen's 4x4 magazine) if you are planning upon big tires, mounted on wide wheels combined with any rigorous driving (such as an afternoon autocross, or a more serious road race course) as bigger tires equals more force applied on the bolts and frame itself (the reason the car responds as well as it does to a bigger tire patch is in reaction to force they are applying to the pavement). Newton pointed out that every force has an equal but opposite force so .... As I said reading about four wheel drive trucks showed me that 4x4 trucks go way beyond big tires: to huge, by gigantic; which is why the frame cracks on the first test drive when on the trail. Your frame will also crack with big tires; it just takes longer to stress the metal with less force than those brobdingnagian tires can apply.

Have to see if not familiar with really obscure English vocabulary:

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page