Delphi 600 steering conversion issues with a '64. - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Delphi 600 steering conversion issues with a '64.

I have replaced the oringinal power steering on y '64 with a Delphi 600 power steering conversion kit available from Ecklers. Naturally the process was not quite as painless as hoped for, but overall not too awful. Of course the fitting for the high pressure didn't match the '64 pump ('male' ends on both the pump and the line) and the Hotchkiss sway bar had to relocated slightly to avoid interferance with the pitman arm and the underside of the steering box, but the result was worth the effort. Steering is much quicker (3 1/4 turns lock to lock), precise and responsive.
I used the original drag link with an "steering replacement control valve conversion" that replaces the control valve with an iron sleeve that connects tho the pitman arm to avoid replacing the drag link with a manual steering one.
So what is the 'issue'? The 'box' was 'centered' to be certain that the amount of travel was the same left to right and the front end was aligned, but get the correct toe-in the passenger tie rod had to be lenghtened over two inches longer than the driver's side one. fortunately there is plenty of adjustment and no shortage of threads in the tie rod, tie rod end and idler arm to accomplish this, however I am concerned about a potrntial change in geometry left to right as the wheels move up and down because of this difference in length. Seems to me that ideally both tie rods should end-up about the same length. I have nothiced some 'bump steer' over large dips that was not there before the conversion. (not severe, but noticable)
Does anyone know if there is a difference between manual and power steering pitman arms and where the it attaches to the drag link? Should I have changed to a manual steering drag link and pitman arm so that both tie rods would be more equal in length? I know that I am not the only one to have done this 'conversion'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM

No there have been two or three others that I have read about over the years here.

As to parts differences the parts catalog will show if there is a difference and if you are lucky a diagram picturing the two parts side by side.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

THanks Big Dave, I think that is the only way I can know the difference. There was a time when that info was at the local Chevy store, but those days are long gone along with all the junk yard parts. So far I have only located new manual steering pitman arms (with 4 master splines) so there must be a difference. I'll continue researching.
I would like to see a manual steering and a power steering drag link side be side. That would answere my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page