65 impala power steering box interchange - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

65 impala power steering box interchange

does anyone know of an interchangeable box, mine is extemely sloppy, maybe one from a 70 model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM

They are all interchangeable, but I would jump up to a mid eighties box as they have a better "road Feel" than the earlier steering gear boxes. The other alternative is to have yours rebuilt. You can do it yourself as there are a limited number of specialized hand tools required , but it does require a lot of concentration as the parts have to go back together exactly as they came apart. You can not have any extra parts left over or to swap shims or balls and expect it to work. That is why a trained mechanic that works on these things regularly is your best solution.

If you are not concerned about numbers matching (you rebuild yours to maintain the correct date codes and assembly plant codes for your car) you could take your core down to NAPA and swap it for one already rebuilt. Or you could possibly just pay the core charge and keep your original part (throw it in a steel barrel as you car may have other original parts joining their mates in the barrel later). I have found a 22-1/2 gallon grease barrel is ideal for this application. Places like your corner 15 minute lube shop may save an empty barrel for you to haul off and use (as a bonus you can scrape out several cans of good unused grease that the machine could not pump out in the bottom and the top lip).

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

When you say "mid 80s", do you have a specific model to recommend?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 AM

There are two sizes though they both share the same bolt pattern. The difference is in the size of the output shaft for the Pitman arm (spline count) is higher for the bigger stronger box with the four bolts holding on the top cover. The smaller (though often with a faster turning ratio because they were used on sports cars) were the ones with the round steel cap held in place by a large diameter wire snap ring.

I was thinking of the newer B-bodies from 1985-88 and Monte Carlo SS models that are reputed to have the fastest turning ratios. Just remember that the El Camino is the same car as the Monte with the station wagon top cut off the body and a sheet metal bed liner thrown over the foot wells. I would avoid the Camaro third gen cars and the forth gen Camaro's switched over to rack and pinion steering not long after it was introduced. But there were a lot of full size Chevy cop cars built that have super heavy duty suspension parts on them. I know cars started to blend together all looking alike but if it has a blue oval on it pass as it is an old Crown Vic trying to pass itself off as a cop car.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:20 AM

I used one from a 79 Camaro as it was a direct bolt on. Later ones need some modifications. I have also hears some are using a Jeep steering box as it also is a GM box.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I used one from a 79 Camaro as it was a direct bolt on. Later ones need some modifications. I have also hears some are using a Jeep steering box as it also is a GM box.
JEEP- jacked everyone else's parts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM

Well Saginaw steering boxes were used on Fords as well. It is hard to ignore a good part that you can buy cheaper than you can make it for yourself. That is why every manufacturer in Detroit bought their steel wheels from Kelsey-Hayes. Has to do with something I read in an engineering text about not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Well Saginaw steering boxes were used on Fords as well. It is hard to ignore a good part that you can buy cheaper than you can make it for yourself. That is why every manufacturer in Detroit bought their steel wheels from Kelsey-Hayes. Has to do with something I read in an engineering text about not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Big Dave
You should introduce this text to today's engineers.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas6935 View Post
You should introduce this text to today's engineers.

That's where I learned it; in the Engineering College of USF back in the late sixties. First degree that I earned was a BSIE back when the US still had some industry.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Saginaw Box interchange

Dont forget to mention that Saginaw Gear switched to metric fittings, O rings and metric threads for the fluid line to box connections sometime in the 1979 time frame. Might be something to keep in mind if customer wants to keep unit and lines as they were.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM

There are adapters that fit into the gear box to mate old lones to the newer O-ring fittings.

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 PM

If you do decide to stay with an original, they really aren't that expensive Rebuilt. I just priced some lately and found them to be pretty reasonable.

I also have some used ones available, if you decide to go that route.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page