65 Impala SS steering column problems - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
JW

65 Impala SS steering column problems

I am restoring a 65 SS and it has a non-tilt column that is shot. I purchased a rebuilt 65 tilt steering column and I just don't see how the OEM wheel is going to fit correctly and function. The diameter of the wheel does not match and it won't go completely on the splined shaft with the plastic signal cam on it. My question is, does the same OEM wheel fit both application's and can someone point to a diagram for the turn signal components and steering wheel assembly? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
JW

Pictures to help. This is the rebuilt OEM tilt column I bought. I did some research and found a different turn signal cancelling cam for tilt than non-tilt, but that won't take care of the diameter difference between the wheel and collar.
Thanks,
Jim

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
JW

Got it figured out. the horn ring will cover the gap and the tilt cancelling cam will solve the turn signal problems. Length looks to right for using the OEM steering wheel as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:48 PM

You also need different mounting brackets for the tilt column, I believe.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
JW

Thanks, jayoldschool! I think I can mount it with the u-clamp but won't have the proper cosmetic covers I don't think the non-tilt original covers will work. They do slide under the tilt collar but I don't think they will match for location with the dash.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Keep us posted, I'd love a tilt in my 65...

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
JW

I hope it all works out. My original non-tilt was shot, probably rebuildable but shot. I found a company in Athens, TX called Gary's Classics that had an original 65 tilt column on the shelf and they rebuilt it for me....just takes money....man those are expensive. I wanted an original so I could use the OEM steering wheel and not be cramped for room. Ididit told me their tilt column would put the OEM wheel 3-4" closer to me and I can't deal with that....got too much table muscle I will keep you posted as I progress. I am rebuilding the front end putting tubular A arms and power disc brakes on her now.
JW
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM

I haven't tried it but I hear you can cut non tilt collars down to work on tilt columns. Anyone tried that? I have a column but no collars.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I haven't tried it but I hear you can cut non tilt collars down to work on tilt columns. Anyone tried that? I have a column but no collars.
I believe they did that on the Hurst/Olds homage car that MuscleCar (now called Detroit muscle) on PowerBlockTV aired a year or so ago. You should be able to go to their web site and view the old show based upon the description. They installed a used tilt over a Ididit column and showed how to totally rebuild it with all new parts.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page