Brakes and Power steering whines - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Brakes and Power steering whines

My 1964 Impala SS has and LQ9 engine and a CPP Hydraboost booster fitted. Ever since the car was completed, It whines when I apply brakes and you can also hear the whinning when you come to a stop and your gears changing to low gear.The restorers have changed the piping and also the bends suspecting enough fluid was not getting through to the pump. This has not helped. Is it that the original pump that came with the LQ9 engine is not producing enough vacuum to deal with both brakes and steering or is there another cause of this problem. Now of late I now experience a clog, clog noise on the brakes when I get to a stop.

Heita!

1956 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop RHD
1960 Chevy Impala Sport Sedan RHD
1964 Chevy Impala Super Sport https://www.flickr.com/photos/127354...57649722841017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:47 PM

I was looking for your HydraBoost or a vacuum power assist can but didn't see them (at least not in the "right" place). Then I realized you where from a place that states keep left on all of your road signs.

There is no vacuum at all in a HydroBoost only hydraulic pressure (over a thousand psi on the high side if you are restricted like you claim (normal is around 750 psi high about 120 on the low side). Your pump may be out putting enough pressure but not enough volume. Aftermarket makes bigger pumps to handle 4x4 rock crawlers.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I was looking for your HydraBoost or a vacuum power assist can but didn't see them (at least not in the "right" place). Then I realized you where from a place that states keep left on all of your road signs.

There is no vacuum at all in a HydroBoost only hydraulic pressure (over a thousand psi on the high side if you are restricted like you claim (normal is around 750 psi high about 120 on the low side). Your pump may be out putting enough pressure but not enough volume. Aftermarket makes bigger pumps to handle 4x4 rock crawlers.

Big Dave
Thank you so much for your prompt response.What this means is that I must replace the current pump with bigger one.Sorry you battled to find my Hydroboost, as you mentioned, it is in the "Right" side as our steering and brakes are on the "Right" side.LoL

1964 Chevy Impala Super Sport https://www.flickr.com/photos/127354...57649722841017

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Big Dave;
I would like to thank you very much for the advice you gave on my problem. I showed my mechanic your post and asked him to do just as you advised and he followed what you said and my problems are solved. Thank you soon much. The car is quiet the brakes work well. It feels so good to belong to a forum with experts like you.

Heita!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page