64 Impala interchangeability ? - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

64 Impala interchangeability ?

I have a 64 2 door sedan. Originally had a three speed manual on the tree. But I want to run a th350 I already have and I do not want to cut into the floor for a floor shifter. What automatic columns will interchange. I know bel air and biscaynes it what other makes and models ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpokie View Post
I have a 64 2 door sedan. Originally had a three speed manual on the tree. But I want to run a th350 I already have and I do not want to cut into the floor for a floor shifter. What automatic columns will interchange. I know bel air and biscaynes it what other makes and models ?
GM made a lot of B-bodies that share steering columns not just Chevys. Even other Chevy models will fit in your car. But all you want is a different set of control rods that attach to the lower part of the column and go under the car to shift the TH350.

The bell crank and comb are different for each automatic tranny.

Big Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

So then what am i looking for just the arm(s) in the I gone bay ? What about the gear selector ? Or am I just missunderstanding you all together ? I figured olds, Buick or Pontiac maybe.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:04 PM

The manual didn't have a gear indicator lens on top of the steering column. You will have to swap columns to get that part as it isn't an add on. The cars that do have automatics have two, three or four forward gears and come in tilt or straight. The three speed TH350 was introduced in 1969, but the older bigger stronger TH400 has been around since 1965. Both are three speeds but because the TH400 tranny is bigger it has different linkage rods though I have made them fit a TH350 in the past.

Newer four speed automatic steering columns have metric splines (anything made after 1985) and fasteners and frequently a pulse wiper or cruise control added to the turn signal that older cars didn't have. If you want those features that is about the only way to add them.

Big Dave
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 PM

I would play it safe and stick with a '64 Full Size Chevy Auto Column. There are plenty of them available. Now, a '64 Column will be from a Powerglide Trans. The 3-Speed Trans was not available in '64. You will have to research on how to make it work for your TH 350. Also some may say a '63 Column will also work, but it is a little different as it has a Larger Cup where it meets the Steering Wheel. You could also check into an Aftermarket Column, if you decide to go non-original.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:12 PM

There are two sources to determine what interchanges. I

f you can read them (they can be a little hard to follow initially) the 1962-'75 Illustrated Chevrolet Parts Catalog (about $75 on a CD and around $140 for a paper reprint) has several thousands of pages of obsolete part numbers that you can not order any more. What it does tell you is if the same part number that fits a 1963 or a 1964 will fit on a 1965 or 1968 impala that part will have the same part number for all of those years. A part number is changed only when something changes on the part (such as the PowerGlide steering column getting an extra gear in 1965) then it gets not only a new part number but it mentions in the book that it is just like the old part number except for the change. It only mentions this once in the year following the change so you have to read a lot of info to find that info or read interchange books written by people who did.

Another easier to read and requires nothing more than reading it is Hollander Interchange manual. It lists ever year model and make of car that share a common part. Such obscure facts as that Jeep, and Ford also used the same Saginaw steering gear as used on the 1965-'72 Chevys. Who would have thought? I

f it will interchange it will have a unique Hollander interchange number that will appear in the part number section listing were to look for parts in the junk yard. These books were supposed to be destroyed annually as new ones came on-line but people tended to share them with their buddies (and most of those buddies are now dead and gone; so their wives are selling off those old Hollander manuals on flea-Bay). If it doesn't fit exactly (added an extra gear to the tranny or has some minor change that allows it to fit and work but isn't an exact fit it will have a letter after that interchange number.

Big Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Well that makes thing a little more difficult. I've read where some people have changed a "detent" plate ? Is that by using the powerglide column ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:36 AM

If you are referring to the "Indicator Plate", yes I believe one is available to replace the Powerglide one.

Many out there have done this conversion, but you need to check with them on the details of the Trans connections and all.

I can't help much there as my experiences are all with Manual Transmissions. All my cars and trucks have a Clutch and a Shifter, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:22 AM

There are replacement plastic lenses with three or OD markings or you can remove the paint on the back of the lens and replace the painted indicators with an adhesive decal. Both are sold by reproduction houses. Linkage and bell cranks are also sold along with the brackets to hold them as a kit that includes the indicator lens in some cases.

Big Dave
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Not the gear selector lens. I seen a pic of it and have be trying to retrace my steps all day but it is, what I understood it as, what the lever handle rested or stopped on. Similar to what's on the side of the transmission but inside th column. . What does the shifter rest on inside of the steering column ?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 PM

It is a hollow steel tube with slots in it that is held in place with brass bushings. As you rotate the tube the shift rods inside move up and down inside the tube out side of the actual steering column. At the end of the tube there are two tabs with a hole in it that attach to the linkage that goes to the tranny. The actual gear selector is a rooster comb inside that has a series of bumps that a roller runs across to select a gear.

You can see pictures of all of this in the Repair manuals (Service and Chassis) and the Assembly manual. Without those books you are flying blind.

Big Dave
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...php?tid/51780/

I did find this. I also read the dent plate is on the trans. Whoops. So I guess my next question is which power glide columns will fit my dash?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Just about all of them can be made to fit, but only one that looks like the original will look original as GM made the same part year after year but changed the look of it with paint and plastic bolt ons.

You would reuse your steering wheel to get most of the look.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page