Upper steering coupler - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Upper steering coupler

I need to replace the boot on the upper steering coupler on my 64' Belair non power steering.What is the proper way to disassemble the shaft assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Anyone ever replace theirs?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Here is what mine '63 looks like;it is a four speed tilt-wheel so others will look slightly different:

If one disassembles the connection nearest the firewall, the column may be 'lowered' to allow disassembly of the coupler. However, I recommend not stopping there. remove the coupler completely, clean everything thoroughly, rotate the pillow blocks 90 degrees (or replace if needed), pack with new grease and reassemble with the new boot. It's pretty simple. As you get into it you will see how it's put together. Even I could do it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	14298  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

That's why I need to remove it,to replace that boot/repack the bearing.I also have the firewall seal to be replaced too.I was hoping I could do both without removing the column.Thanks for your response.👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Here is what mine '63 looks like;it is a four speed tilt-wheel so others will look slightly different:

If one disassembles the connection nearest the firewall, the column may be 'lowered' to allow disassembly of the coupler. However, I recommend not stopping there. remove the coupler completely, clean everything thoroughly, rotate the pillow blocks 90 degrees (or replace if needed), pack with new grease and reassemble with the new boot. It's pretty simple. As you get into it you will see how it's put together. Even I could do it .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM

You can remove the coupler just but loosening the clamping bolts on either end of it, and sliding the shaft to allow it to be removed.
The firewall boot, you pretty much have to take apart the steering column.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

Last edited by dcairns; 08-15-2019 at 04:39 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
You can remove the coupler just but loosening the clamping bolts on either end of it, and sliding the shaft to allow it to be removed.
The firewall boot, you pretty much have to take apart the steering column.
I've only replaced the firewall boot on MY car. I'm concluding that for a car with any sort of column shifter, it's more complicated.

The previous owner of my car was apparently VERY lazy because he cut the firewall boot (at the bottom so as to not show much) to fit it around the steering column. He did run the clutch push rod thru its hole. I'm not recommending that, but in all honesty, it didn't look THAT bad. If I were not down there messing with the cross brace and the clutch mechanism, I doubt I would have noticed. Once I did notice, it was simple to replace properly, on my car. If one looks closely at the pic I posted you can see the new firewall boot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I just went out & loosened the upper clamp closest to the firewall.It STILL doesn't want to slide off.It's not like japetes,it's a solid shaft thru the firewall.If I tap on it with a hammer will it slide out?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I just went out & loosened the upper clamp closest to the firewall.It STILL doesn't want to slide off.It's not like japetes,it's a solid shaft thru the firewall.If I tap on it with a hammer will it slide out?
The below may or may not be helpful to you.

In the pic I posted, look at the bolted 'clamped' connection for the coupling to the lower steering mast. The bolt that clamps the coupling to the splined lower mast sits in a groove in the mast. Even if you loosen the bolt, you can not separate the two (axially) until you remove the bolt completely. You 'may' have such a connection also.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Okay here's what happened.I went back out & took a closer look,cleaned some dirt & grease off.Theres an external snap ring on the outside of the upper steering coupler.I removed it & it dropped right out.On the inside of the rubber boot there's a metal ring.When the snap ring is installed it rests behind that ring.Thus holding the upper clamp housing in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page