CPP 500 steering box - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

CPP 500 steering box

Hey guys I just got my CPP 500 box in the mail today and I'm ready to install.is this a direct bolt on to my existing rag joint.I have a 62 with power steering.I'm so confused from what I have been reading.By using the CPP 500 box does it eliminate the slave cylinder and the control valve all together?if so would be great..do I need anything else?Directions seem a bit confusing and misleading. They actually sent me two sets of directions.for uses with the rjc 605L and the rjc 605s. Please help. Thanks guys

Last edited by DannyL; 11-23-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:48 AM

If all you have is the 'box', there's a bunch of additional parts required. Typically some are addressed in the instructions, some are not.

Also, the alignment specs change considerably. For example, the new 'box' requires somewhere in the vicinity of + 4 degrees of caster; the original stamped steel upper control arms were designed for +/- 1/2 degree. To achieve the caster required by the new 'box', you will need to replace the upper control arms with one that have a 'built in' 4 to 5 degrees of caster. I do not believe there are any stamped steel uppers with that much built in caster for your '62. So the expensive (but quite good) tubular uppers will be needed.

And, the new steering MAY be so sensitive that a front sway bar upgrade is required (my '63 did); which is more $.

Changing the power steering system is NOT the simple 'part bolt on' job that vendors tend to imply. They don't actually lie, but they tend to leave important things unsaid.

Here's link to some helpful (hopefully) info (it too is rather 'incomplete'):

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/assets...709%20TECH.pdf

Happy Thanksgiving!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
If all you have is the 'box', there's a bunch of additional parts required. Typically some are addressed in the instructions, some are not.

Also, the alignment specs change considerably. For example, the new 'box' requires somewhere in the vicinity of + 4 degrees of caster; the original stamped steel upper control arms were designed for +/- 1/2 degree. To achieve the caster required by the new 'box', you will need to replace the upper control arms with one that have a 'built in' 4 to 5 degrees of caster. I do not believe there are any stamped steel uppers with that much built in caster for your '62. So the expensive (but quite good) tubular uppers will be needed.

And, the new steering MAY be so sensitive that a front sway bar upgrade is required (my '63 did); which is more $.

Changing the power steering system is NOT the simple 'part bolt on' job that vendors tend to imply. They don't actually lie, but they tend to leave important things unsaid.

Here's link to some helpful (hopefully) info (it too is rather 'incomplete'):

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/assets...709%20TECH.pdf

Happy Thanksgiving!
thanks for your reply that sucks.i wish they would of told me this.this seems like its going be an issue that keeps snowballing.Im going to have to rethink this and start over and send back the box to CPP.This conversion is very misleading.Can i just get my Saginaw rebuilt.Its a leaker

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:52 AM

Many people convert, but I like original myself.

You can get them rebuilt, or just go with a good used.

I have some good used ones available.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
thanks for your reply that sucks.i wish they would of told me this.this seems like its going be an issue that keeps snowballing.Im going to have to rethink this and start over and send back the box to CPP.This conversion is very misleading.Can i just get my Saginaw rebuilt.Its a leaker
Everything you need to rebuild your steering system can be found on Corvette restoration sites. This is because this steering system (external hydraulic ram assist) was retained on the Corvette up through 1984 after the rest of Chevrolet's fleet went to the Saginaw self contained (internal ram) power assist in 1965.

Unfortunately because these parts bolt onto a Corvette the price increases over the same part sold to fit an Impala because 'vette owners are regularly forced to pay more; because they can (price of being rich). Same thing happens to Cadillac owners who pay twice as much for the same part that fits a Chevy.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

What other options do i have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page