steering upgrade - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

steering upgrade

good morning
i own a 1964 impala 2 door hardtop
i just installed a 454 and turbo 400
i see many posts regarding CCP and their expensive kits. i'm not rich, i cannot afford that stuff.
instead i bought a 500 series steering box from a local boneyard and a u-joint and steering link from ebay, to eliminate the lower unit and the cylinder.
my question is, will drilling new holes in the frame cause it to break? extra holes will cause it to collapse, is what i'm seeing, and that's coming from off-road forums.
can i box the frame and then drill new holes?
i read where using sleeves on the mounting bolts is the way to go. can anyone confirm this?
i have asked these questions on a couple other forums.
they have been read many times, but no one has given an answer other than spend a bunch of money on CCP.
i already have the parts i want to use.
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 AM

Just wondering if you noticed the answer that Jalapeno gave you on the other board. He is a Steering Box rebuilder and pretty much an expert on the subject.

I personally can't help much as I like them original and have no experience in converting, but maybe Dave can help you.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Four by four boards recommend boxing the frame and sleeving the holes to reinforce an area of extreme stress when using 33 or taller tires. If you are driving on the street with 28 inch tall tires the standard mounting holes should work just fine with a quarter inch plate welded in place before you drill the new holes if you think the frame is weak there.

A 1958-'64 X-frame car was made to be weak (flexible) so that the frame bends and twists in use to provide a smoother ride. GM and Chevy in particular was offering a "jet smooth" ride quality from an age before global warming (when the Boeing 727 first flew there was no turbulence above 16,000 feet and today you can encounter clear air turbulence at 28,000 feet). As such the frame is designed to bend in use.

I have not seen the aftermarket 500 series upgrade that CCP offers but I understand the expense is in relation to the engineering research to solve the caster and camber problems introduced by using the Saginaw gear box as a replacement. If I am not mistaken in addition to new steering parts they include new control arms to address these issues but that is from memory based upon what I have read from other member's posts..

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the response. i did read to reply from Jalapeno.
my '64 steering box is done for. i have adjusted all i can and my car is still all over the place.
sometimes it feels like it's gonna swap ends, especially now with a heavier engine installed.
i definitely need to do something.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:53 PM

You can replace your existing power steering with all brand new parts as the same parts were used from 1963 through 1982 on the Corvette. Corvette houses sell all of the parts you need to make it work like new again.

1963-82 Corvette Power Steering Service | CC Tech

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribboy52 View Post
thank you for the response. i did read to reply from Jalapeno.
my '64 steering box is done for. i have adjusted all i can and my car is still all over the place.
sometimes it feels like it's gonna swap ends, especially now with a heavier engine installed.
i definitely need to do something.
Hello over here. I won't repeat anything, I promise.

Are you sure your problem is the box? Ball joints? Control arm bushings? Etc? There are lots of things that may cause you problem(s) individually, or in combination.

Just asking. Hate to see you spend money and not solve your problem. I've done that; it

Pete
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

that's the thing that got me going on this upgrade. the entire front end has been rebuilt.
new springs ball joints idlers tie rod ends shocks
i did that cuz i was planning on removing the 283/glide and install a big block
even the rearend has new springs.
after the engine swap i was not at all excited about the way it drove.
that's when i began adjusting the play out of the '64 box.
my lower unit hoses were cracked and leaking, i replaced them
the cylinder was leaking, i pulled that off and installed new tighter fiber washers, the thing hasn't leaked since.
i read the forums about putting in a late model box and decided that was for me.
thank you all for your expert feedback
i'm going ahead with my project.
if i fail, i'll fix it and move on
happy new year
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Same back at you.

With all sincerity, good luck with with car.

Pete
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Same back at you.

With all sincerity, good luck with with car.

Pete
Here's a link to the instructions for the Borgeson rebuilt Delphi 600 steering box:

http://borgeson.com/instructions/800106

They MAY (huge emphasis on MAY) be helpful to you. Disregard if not of any use.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page