Flaming River rack and cradle for 64 impala - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Flaming River rack and cradle for 64 impala

Has anyone use the flaming river rack and pinion cradle kit? I am having lack of steering and my column is too long and the wiring is haywire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 AM

Be sure to research the pro's and cons of a rack and pinion steering system. Marketing people at the companies that sell them and the car mags that are paid to advertise them are all about pushing the pluses while glossing over the negatives that can kill you if you get it wrong.

GM didn't use a rack and pinion for ever because thaey had invented the recirculating ball Saginaw power steering used by GM Ford and Chrysler (which at the time was called Jeep).

I used to use either a Corvair or a Vega Saginaw gear box on my race cars when I wanted a faster acting steering; as they were small and light and didn't suffer from bump steer Ackerman angles or any of the other things that crop up in a rack and pinion system if everything in your front suspension isn't aligned to the movement of the rack.

I currently have power assist variable ratio rack and pinion steering with 10" x 20" inch wheels on my pick-up, but it came that way from the factory so I didn't have to engineer or fabricate anything.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
there are two folks here who used my shop who recommended your referenced kit ... one had a 64 ... the other, IIRC 66 or 68 Impala. Both liked their Flaming River rack/pinion very much ... so I bought one for my 61 ... including the tilt steering column. Will update if I can find this thread again in another year/half! LOL.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page