66 Impala Power Sterring Pulling - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

66 Impala Power Steering Pulley

I am replacing the power steering pump on my 66 Impala 396. I had to use a pulley to remove the pulley. To install the pulley onto the new power steering pump, the removal/installation tool I got from AutoZone, does not seem like it will work.The new power steering pump shaft has a small hole, but not large enough to accept a bolt. Is a pulley installation tool suppose to be used to install the pulley? The pulley with not slip on the shaft far enough, to use the nut to drive the pulley on.

Thanks in advance for your help all,

Brian

Last edited by impalabrl1; 09-14-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 PM

There are two different power steering pullets. One is a press on keyed with a Woodruf key and the other is the bolt on. The press on has a groove cut in the from of the pulley hub to allow a puller to grasp the pulley and press against the shaft to get it off. Big nut on the other style is dead give away.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Pump Pulley

Mind has the key and large nut I will look for different type of puller versus the one I had which used a bolt.
Thanks Dave,
Brian

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I have not found any type of device to install the pulley. The original GM manual indicates the pulley should be able to be slid onto the shaft by hand, with the key in place and just torque the nut. Mind will not slide on. My ID is a bit rough, which may be causing the issue. I am going to try to clean it up, although I had the pulley sand blasted and powder coated. If anyone has installed one of these and has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 AM

If you got any powder coating on the fit it will cause an interference. Use some scotch bright pads keep cleaning the fit surface until it is nice shiny metal. You may need a little wd-40 to slide it on and it may take being walked on as it is a very tight tolerance fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page