steering column issue for ls1 swap - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

steering column issue for ls1 swap

Guys

I have been told by my engineer that's I need to install a collapsible steering column into my 66 SS
when doing a ls1 swap in Australia to meet 1 of the requirement so I can get it passed engineering.
I have read on here that 67 was first year for collapsible steering in GM cars and 67 will not fit 66 SS
I have seen the after market column's and I would like to keep the car looking factory from the inside
what could I use or could I modify a 67 to fit.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Team Member

Forcing you to use a part your car didn't originally have seems a little... unfair. Parts Place Inc sells refurbished columns, but they aren't cheap. You could find a cheaper one off eBay and see if it fits first? Best of luck if you have to go this route.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

hi guys anyone else that can add to this need to get this sort out fast. big dave maybe you could help cheers.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM

Really don't know why the '67 won't fit in the '66. Probably a full redesign with a change in length due to having to build a collapsible steering column. That said I would measure my overall length and hit the junk yards looking for a similar length collapsible part out of a smaller import car and try to disguise it to fit for purposes of inspection.

You are dealing with a rag joint at one end and and mid point mount based upon column diameter. The rag joint offers various metric SAE conversions and you can probably fab a collar to fit whatever column you find to bolt it in. Might gain a tilt column in the deal.

Will have to rewire the column connector to gain emergency flash, turn signals, and horn. Might even incorporate high-low flash as well.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page