Steering gearbox - Impala Tech
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Darth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Steering gearbox

Hey guys, me and my friend are building a big block 66 impala, and outlr power steering gearbox is hitting the exhaust manifold. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a smaller one that will fit, with good road feel aswell. Also if anyone knows where to get a smaller master cylinder for the breaks. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 AM

Welcome to the Team Paul!

You have an issue with your installation. The BBC fits with room to spare if you have the correct transmission cross-member and motor mounts. Headers do have an issue with the steering gearbox clearance, but they generally can be massaged to fit.

Because it is a BBC you need the Special High Performance interlocking motor mounts to fit your frame stands. 1958 through 1968 used tall and narrow engine mounts while 1969 through 1972 model years used the short and wide engine mounts. Unfortunately most parts store computers list the 1969 through 1972 as universally fitting earlier cars which they do not.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 01:29 AM

You might well have the wrong manifold. The one for Impala is not the same as Chevelle for example, or even later Impala. Do you have the casting number of the manifold? I have a big block 66, and have owned a few big block 66's over the years, never had a manifold hit the box.
Big Dave, 62BillT and BA. like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Good point!

It slipped my mind entirely. There were exhaust manifolds cast for pick-ups that were different for vans /motor homes; as well as what Darth said. Impala was different than the Chevelle which was also different from the Corvette and the Camaro/Nova. This is because unlike any other GM big block engine the big block from Chevy was a truck engine that didn't fit in a car body very well because it was so big. It was made that big for strength and durability.

It is easy to tell a BBC from a SBC, but it takes experience to tell a Buick 455 from a 350 as both are the same size and look very similar. Same for Pontiac and Olds. So you have to be careful picking a street race if you can not tell them apart. A Stage I Buick 455 in a Buick Apollo/Skylark body (basically a Buick labled Nova) will put a Hemi 'cuda on the trailer every time.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the replys, I forgot to mention the engine is a Corvette 454 big block.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:33 AM

What is the number on the manifold you are trying to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page