First Post - 1966 T&T Column in a 1965 - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

First Post - 1966 T&T Column in a 1965

This is a picture of the interior of my 1965 Impala. Picture was taken some time around 1966. It has grown a 1966 T&T column and also an Oldsmobile squeeze rim (horn blow), T&T steering wheel. The 1966 T&T column was a direct bolt-in.

Note the location of the Sun Supertach. I first assembled the tach to the T&T column head. After two of the Supertachs failed, it was determined that if you pulled on the tilt column lever and let the steering wheel and column head bounce to the full up position, the tach would stop working. So the tach in the picture is now mounted in the left corner of the dash.

BTW, that is a multiplex unit under the dash. I made a special mounting plate so that the unit ended up back, under the dash panel and was not visible from outside the car.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Probably the mechanical shock of the tilt action was damaging the meter movement. I don't know if you were asking a question, but I gave an answer!

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Nice setup Jim!
Quick question, In that position, how did you run the tach wires? The install looks nice and clean, but I can't tell how you routed them...
Nick

OCD Customs
My Wheels
Classic Nation car pictures.

1965 Impala SS
6.2L LSX with 4L80E, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes, Air Ride

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM

So you have a Olds T&T column and wheel in your 65 Impala?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Dadstoy, No, it is a one year only 1966 Chevrolet B-car T&T column in my 1965. The Oldsmobile steering wheel, Oldsmobile telescope lock, and horn mechanism all adapted easily to the Chevrolet T&T column.

Nicke, I don't really remember how I routed the wires from my SuperTach. I think that I might have drilled a hole above the tach; running the wires up between the dash pad and the instrument cluster. Then down and out to the sender on the fender panel.
Jim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM

All B-body parts interchange so if you want a T&T for your Impala any Cadillac, Buick, Olds, or Pontiac, which were all much more up scale than the entry level Chevrolet, it is a simple bolt in.

I installed a complete Buick Electra 225 interior into my stripped down taxi cab Impala replacing cheap with a comfy split bench seat and cut pile carpets. There wasn't a lot of demand for luxury car interiors when I bought mine so they were cheap if you could find them in good shape. The older the car, the less likely you are to find surplus parts (it is a supply and demand thing).

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't think that you are correct about any B-car steering column fitting any other car division B-car. Even though the car bodies and suspensions were similar some of the basic differences were in the unique instrument clusters. Where and how the steering column passes through the dash depends upon the design of the cluster. So steering columns would have different length shrouds that extend from the steering column head to the point where the shroud meets the cluster.

Also the basic 1965-66 tilt and telescoping head components are identical between Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and the one year only '66 Chevrolet T&T. Sometimes different locking shoes (with different locking slots) were used between car models. In some instances if the head were allowed to tilt all the way up the steering wheel might hit the shift lever or the dash pad. So some heads had 7 locking positions, others had only 6.

The steering wheel, telescope locking lever, and horn emblem parts would be unique for each car division.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page