can not get rid of noise - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

can not get rid of noise

I installed a 1984 Camaro fast ratio steering box & a new 1965 ps pump.

I filled the pump with auto trans fluid & started the car turning the wheels lock to lock. The pump makes a noise that does not disappear
when turning the wheels lock to lock.......I did this about 8 to 10
times.

Whats the solution......Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 07:56 AM

You did it right. Might try doing it again
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Belt tension?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks....Belt tension is okay. I think there is still air in system.

Donnie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 AM

You are correct. Entrapped air is the problem.

You will have to cycle the wheels a lot more than ten times. Do not hit the bump stops if you can help it. The closer to the stop you get without actually hitting it the greater the volume of fluid you will move (next to nothing at center) but you want to stay off the stop if you can; as it will damage the pump with foam as a lubricant instead of fluid to protect it.

The spindle valve inside the gear box acts like a ramp with greater fluid flow the closer it gets to the stop. It is actuated by a rack and pinion that behaves like a poppet valve with flow increasing as it lifts off the seat. As it travels through center it is closed off isolating each circuit and doesn't flow until the valve starts to open in the other circuit to move the wheel back again.

You also have to verify there are no leaks as the lines will suck air on the return side, but few see a problem because there isn't fluid squirting out under high pressure.

Big Dave
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks Dave.....I think I'll crack a fitting on the box & see if that helps.

Donnie
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM

Cracking the fitting will not help. With a static system (like brakes) you crack the system to bleed off fluid and air. Air is trapped in only one segment of the brake system. But steering is a full flowing dynamic system. You have air throughout the flowing system.

What happens is this: large air bubbles get swept through a power steering circuit and enter the power steering pump. Those bubbles get whipped into a foamy mixture by the 10 vanes inside the pump. Now it takes a long time (with the engine off) for those millions of tiny air bubbles to recombine into larger bubbles that can come to the surface in the pump reservoir and go back to atmosphere. Thos millions of tiny air bubbles make a compressible fluid that causes lack of assist and loud moaning sounds from the power steering pump.

That is why I always recommend that your crank the steering wheel full lock to full lock with the front wheels off the ground and the engine OFF! Do this a couple dozen times and replenish with power steering fluid as bubbles come out and the fluid level drops. This gives those large air bubbles a chance to come to the surface in the pump reservoir and back to atmosphere.

BTW, I always recommend genuine GM power steering fluid rather than ATF fluid. The GM fluid is the only fluid specifically formulated to operate with Saginaw (now Nexteer) power steering pumps. ATF is formulated to specifically operate in automatic transmissions without a lot of thought as to power steering applications.

Jim
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM

BTW, there is a move to make the new Dex 6 automatic transmission fluid a "common" fluid for power steering as well as automatics. My engineering contacts at Saginaw (now Nexteer) indicate that Dex 6 still is not as good as genuine GM power steering fluid.

Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again Jim.......Donnie
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Turned out to be a bad pump......Don
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldvair View Post
Turned out to be a bad pump......Don
Do you think the pump was defective or did the seals perhaps fail from excess air in the system? In other words did knowing how to properly purge a pump of air help with the second pump install?

Big Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I am not sure. This pump I got the air out by turning the wheels with the motor not running(car in the air). The1st pump I did it with the motor running.

Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page