Power Steering Actuator??? - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Actuator???

Moved this from General Tech to here... sorry for mishap.

Dropped my 64 SS off at the shop to get tuned, buttoned up, and looked over after the different repairs i have made. The shop called and told me i needed a new Power Steering Actuator? Is he referring to the Power Steering Contol Valve? He said the part was upwards of $400 and that mine was leaking A LOT. Also, he made reference to this being something that went out a lot in older Corvettes. If so, i know there are rebuild kits for that sort of thing. What exactly goes into removing, rebuilding and replacing this part? I have done MOST of the work myself and have learned so much, but there are things still beyond my capabilities until i learn. If this is a job i can do myself, and save $600 towards fixing/replacing something else on the car, I'd obviously go that route. I looked through about 4 or 5 pages of threads and didn't find anything specific about this, my apologies if i missed it and put up another post. I depend on you guys from time to time and i am never disappointed. As always, thanks in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM

This paper has some general tips on rebuilding the control valve assembly.
The very last page has a couple part numbers listed at the very end. Only the complete valve and adapter (7825636) is still available. This is the Corvette valve and adapter part number. I would think that it would fit your 1964 B-car but I am not positive.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=774

This link takes you to five pages that were scanned from the Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. Sorry that the quality is not all that good. Also they are scanned in Microsoft Word. Someday I have to get around to changing the format to pdf.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=767#attachments

BTW, if the shop is saying that the assist cylinder is the one that is leaking, there is a kit to replace the rod seal. However, you should carefully inspect the chrome plated rod itself. If it is corroded, scratched, or badly worn, a new sliding seal may only work for a short while before the defects in the rod causes the new seal to fail. Here are some papers on replacing the rod seal.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=755

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=761#attachments
Jim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM

The Chassis Service Repair manual has the blow by blow descriptions of how to replace those parts. You can also find that info in old Chilton's manuals on library shelves.

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM

For the price they're quoting, you will be a long ways towards switching to the CPP box (new style power steering), instead of the old leaking ram setup. Unless you're determined to keep it stock, this is the way to go.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys soooooo much for your help. It looks like i have some studying to do. I always get such great help here! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
control valve, power steering, power steering actuator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page