rack and pinion for 70 caprice - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

rack and pinion for 70 caprice

I was wondering if a 90s b body or f body rack and pinion would fit a 70 caprice or does anyone have any low budget better steering ideas, I would like to install rack and pinion on my 70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM

Why?

Big Dave
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

To say the truth it was my bro's idea its my first build I've worked on other cars but not on classics, he says for better steering better handling I like driving fast and want some good steering that's why i asked for any ideas

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM

You can get better steering by going to a Jeep G C box. Do a search.

Donnie
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

OK I'll check that out
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to dgrown
But the question still is. Is there a rack and pinion setup availible for these cars? cause I do need the room with my setup
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM

B Body NEVER got rack and pinion.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM

To finish Jason's statement:

Since there is no stock replacement rack and pinion available as a bolt on you have fabricate a mounting system to make a rack off of another vehicle work in it's place.

The rack most frequently used by the aftermarket is the one off of the Ford Pinto. They don't call it that, they call it a Mustang II front end. But if you look at where the Mustang II came from you will discover that Ford reused the same idea they had for the first Mustang. The original Mustang was a Ford Falcon that got new sheet metal. The Mustang II was a Pinto that got new sheet metal. Ergo; The rack is off a 2,800 pound Pinto sub compact economy car.

If you want to try to adapt the Silverado rack to use on your '70 Impala that could be done with a little engineering and a lot of fabrication.

Big Dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM

A rack and pinion steering setup on a 65-70 B car would be a pain in the A#* to install. It also would have to hang down below the oil pan. Hot rod article on manufactures. But none for our cars. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_07
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Any one happen to know if the 69 Camaro will work cause there steering box is in the same spot as the b body as well as the corvette so there a few applications for us that are interested in doing this swap have a few to look at
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM

All of the Saginaw steering gear boxes (500 series, 600 series and 800 series) are interchangeable so far as the mounting holes go; they will all bolt up

I recommend you read this article:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

If you want a very fast ratio manual steering box then you need only look to the H-body cars (Vega and Mons) for the same steering gear box used on dragster and roadsters. The Corvair box is also different but not used on anything but Corvairs for some reason.

Big Dave
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Good information and thanks but the reason I'm looking into this is I need the room to clear my oil pan
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM

If your oil pan is hitting the tie rod you have a truck or Corvette oil pan on the motor. An aftermarket Moroso, Steff's, or Milodon oil pan will clear your suspension and still hold a lot of oil (up to eight quarts.

If you have a ZZ502 RamJet crate motor from GMPP it has a pick-up truck's five quart oil pan on it that will not bolt into any car body. They used to swap them out if the motor was still under warranty at the Chevrolet dealership for a car oil pan because enough customers complained that Chevy had a recall on them (but didn't tell any one about it except authorized service personnel at the dealership through their internal memo system. I saw that service bulletin about a year after I had replaced the pan on my 502 motor (it not only hits the cross-member and tie bar, but it drags the ground if you have the car lowered even two inches on bumps).

Big Dave
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM

I'm doing an LS swap using a Allison behind it and my car is lowered 4" in the front what I keep running into its even with the Gm muscle car pan I'm hitting the centre link short of setting the engine engine and trans up another 2" higher would be the only way to compensate
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Or buying an aftermarket oil pan to fit your chassis. They are welded steel but still offer some support to the motor, due to the thick pan rail that they use.

Big Dave
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Or, take your pan out, and make friends with someone that TIGs alumninum. Modding an LS pan is pretty common. Type "cut LS pan" into google, and you'll find lots of people that have faced the same issue as you.

Stock pan, cut, welded.

Perhaps the cast Holley pan would work for you?

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 PM

so i might have found a solution just i need some one that has a 65-70 apart to measure this. sorry my car is 450 miles away under a snow bank just need a measurement across from the frame rail behind the steering box to the idler arm where it bolts to the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page