Modify steering gear box 64 impala - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Modify steering gear box 64 impala

I have a automatic 64 Impala with the stock power steering. I just got an 85 camaro/impala gear box and was told I could modify my car to make this fit?. I put it side by side to compare and it's bigger.the steering shaft linkage looks like it will have to be shortened?. Can I just go pluck the steering off of an 85 camaro and bolt it to my ride or is this going to be a major modification?. If anyone out there knows of a better option to choose from please,pretty please with sugar on top let me know. I'm not the most mechanical but I am working with one so I can do this but I don't want to spend a fortune or take all summer to get it done. Any thoughts?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the Team Jesse!

We had two members last summer who converted their cars over to mid eighties steering. The aftermarket makes a mismatched (metric on one side and SAE on the other) rag joint and all of the other parts should al;so be easily found. Did you get the steering arm off of the Camaro (not sure your arm has the same number of splines).

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

I got the gear box from autozone. I know they aren't top notch but it was only a $100.00. I originally only planned on adding a brake booster and a Turbo 350 tranny. But I ended up upgrading the engine ,replacing almost everything under the Hood and since the engine is out I want to upgrade the steering. Where would be a good place to order the upgrade kit? Or should I pull the steering. From the camaro?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM

The Saginaw steering gear box you have was used from 1965 up to 1999. It wasn't used in 1964 so it isn't a bolt on swap. One problem you will encounter is the difference in size at the end of the steering column. The two steering gear boxes have different size and shape input shafts. The aftermarket sells a special rag joint to bridge the two.

Since it may take a while for the members who have actually done this swap actually respond to your request for help. There are also several articles that I have read on line at Source Interlink Media's web site (you may know them better as Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Chevy, Popular Hotrodding, or Chevy High Performance magazine). These articles show examples of installation of modern power steering boxes on several different cars including a 1964 Chevy. That is how I knew you need to retain the Pitman arm off the Camaro steering gear box because it is smaller than the one used on the Impala. They also list the parts beside the rag joint you will need and where to buy them (most car mag articles are little more than disguised ads by the manufacture to highlight their product).

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I looked into the car craft and a hemmings article and got alot of info. I also called lee power steering in cali. He told me a saginaw 800 series will work. I think i need to buy a adapter kit from him or another shop like his to make it all work?. I work at a auto repair shop so I have an advantage. I sent the camaro box back and a parts distributorfound me a saginaw 800 series box. I put it sise to side with the stock box and it looks a hair bigger but the bolt holes look like they will line up. so as i progress i will keep everyone informed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I'm frustrated...I was told by lee power steering to get a Saginaw 800 series so I do. Then I finally get a hold of him again to see what kit to get to modify and he says it wont work?. I've seen people put the craziest things in there 64's. That's where i got the idea in the first place. So I guess until I can get a better plan I'm going to sit on this gear box and wait for opportunity to present itself?. I'm doing so many other upgrades right now I can't waist too much time on this. But if anyone out there can send me some ideas or companies that could better assist me that would be much appreciated.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I found myself a saginaw 605 box. They have them at pepboys part # 51-6506 (the one I got) and 51-6507 (this one costs less) the box is $180.00 if you turn in a core but if not then about $225.00. They are atsco remanufactured. Beats $300-$400 for a painted name brand with a chrome plate. This one was rated for a 79 Monte Carlo, 78-79- Oldsmobile omega, and a 79 caddy Seville. I know I'll still need a adapter plate but I'm not sure if I still need to change my center (drag) link to a manual? If so pep boys sells those also.i found a 605 pitman arm on ebay. I got a 605 with it as well. Lowrider magazine has the 64 impala 605 conversion steps on the website. I'll post my results and try to take puctures of my steps and part numbers as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page