ididit tilt steering? - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation ididit tilt steering?

hi there guys -- i have a 1967 imp,convertible... can any one give me any feed back on aftermarket tilt steering columns??---- installation ,price,and brand---im looking into ididit or flaming river columns with column shift - ignition switch on dash...--- thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Tilt

Why don't you go with an original tilt column?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Chevy was the entry level car but GM made other marquees where the difference in price was reflected in the number of creature comforts that where added as options to the interior. As you moved up the price bracket ladder of the various marques more and more parts formerly offered as options where being bundled together as standard equipment. So what is a very rare option on a Chevy such as a tilt wheel is considered standard equipment on a Cadillac or a Buick. All of these parts interchange across the B-body platform for the same series (years) of cars from the interior to suspension parts.

Before 1972 only the motors where truly unique to the name plate (though Chevy had it's own unique transmission bolt pattern and all of the other GM cars shared a common bolt pattern called BOP). After 1972 GM put Chevy engines in all of the marques if you ordered a V-8, and a Buick V-6 if you ordered a V-6 (straight six was also a Chevy engine). In the early eighties GM developed a new line of V-6 motors to meet different applications with the V-8 being intentionally phased out of production to improve CAFE numbers as best they could; though the public refused to cooperate.

For every model Chevrolet sedan made there is a mate made under another GM marque. So for your Chevrolet Biscayne, Impala, or Caprice there is a Pontiac Bonneville, a Catalina, or a Parisienne, from the Oldsmobile division there is the 88, or the 98, from Buick you can find a LeSabre, or an Electra, finally from Cadillac there is the DeVille. The Cadillac Fleetwood, and Brougham are also Impalas from the fire wall forward, but the body has been stretched with an extra ten inches of car placed in the rear seat area starting with the rear seat foot well. These Cadillac cars are known as a C-body or D-body to compliment all of the other cars I named above being a B-model car (rear wheel drive, full size car).

Big Dave

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks dave.. as always you are very informative-wish you were my neighbor-- i know for a fact the 88 shares alot of interchangeable parts- i ran into a 1967 d88 in a pick your part junk yard---- i happen to examine it closely and noticed similar parts from my 67 impala-- i got the whole front suspension and some window trim for 70bks--- great deal-- i didnt know about the other models-- good to know-- now i understand why sometimes they list parts from a 58-70 fullsize chevy.... ...... and as for an original tilt--- i gave up on that hunt--- i havent found one for less than $500 -- i can get an aftermarket tilt for $250-- im going to try and hunt for cadillac or buick now.......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM

Tilt

On eBay and it's OEM, looks to be complete and it is a column shift.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-Chev...c4edff&vxp=mtr

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev6 View Post
-- i can get an aftermarket tilt for $250-- .....
I know this is an old thread, but I just joined a couple of days ago, so I'm catching up.

Question --> where can I get an aftermarket tilt column for $250?

Last edited by BigDogSS; 09-20-2013 at 10:22 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM

I don't know where he was sourcing his Ididit tilt steering column as most start at $550 and go up from there. There is a used tilt column for sale out of a Buick GS that fits your Chevy for $250 on this page on e-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/impala-tilt-column

As always Caveat Emptor!

Big Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM

I used a column out of a 69 Camaro.....$100 at a swap meet.

Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page